Apply to Join TFOP
Individuals with the desire, ability, and access to appropriate facilities to contribute to the TFOP WG can apply to become a TFOP WG member. Applications should be sent to the chair(s) of the appropriate Sub Group(s) and will be reviewed by the Steering Committee. An approved member of the TFOP WG may include more junior scientists as part of his/her research group without the junior scientists having to apply to be members. In this scenario, the approved member is responsible for the conduct and behavior of the junior members with whom he/she is associated, and the junior members are bound by the same conduct and behavior rules as the approved member. A junior member may apply to be a member of the TFOP WG on their own; such an application is subject to the same approval process as any other application.
Applications must contain:
- A statement that the applicant agrees to abide by the draft TFOP WG Charter and the draft TFOP WG Publication Policy.
- An indication of which Sub Group(s) the applicant is interested in joining
- A summary of the applicant’s scientific background, research interest and expertise, and expected/planned contribution to the TFOP WG.
- A description of the instrumentation available for TESS follow-up work, if applicable. In addition to instrumentation specs, include the observatory name(s), latitude, longitude, altitude, and a large city that shares the observatory time zone(s).
- A description of the amount of time expected to be available on the above instrument(s) for TESS follow-up, if applicable.
- A description of the amount of time the applicant (and local team) expect to be able to contribute to TESS follow-up.
Note: The TFOP steering committee encourages suggested improvements to the TFOP WG draft charter and TFOP WG draft publication policy from current and prospective TFOP WG members.
Contact the TFOP Steering Committee
Please contact Dave Latham and relevant Sub Group Chairs at the e-mail addresses on the overview page under the “Steering Committee” section to express your concerns and/or to suggest improvements, in particular, if prospective members are reluctant to apply to join the TFOP WG due to requirements outlined in the current draft documents.